home listen reviews artists a-z
Music Licensing
getting your music into movies, TV, and ads
by Scooter Johnson

So you have a band, a CD, a practice space, a so-so van, a couple of gigs coming up, and an internet connection. What next? Convergence. A dirty word for corporations but a promising term for bands striving to go that extra mile for exposure and financial independence. The internet is proving itself to be beneficial to the newest bands and others who recognize that they have to reach far beyond the city limits to make a go of music as a career.

There are many sites that let you set up an online presence for free or for a monthly fee that includes your own domain name, an email service that allows group emails (regular newsletter or gig/touring announcements), merchandise sales with e-commerce capabilities (credit card processing and shipping), and a walk-through of all the steps involved in building your web pages (try freedomtogroove.com). You'll want a domain name (or URL) that's obviously representative of your band (preferably www.yourbandname.com), with a straightforward email address (like info@yourbandname.com). Curious about how to market your site, join mailing lists, book a tour, contact an A&R rep, and get the best deal on pressing CDs? Check out the dozens of websites put together by your peers (indie-music.com is excellent) that contain many articles, links, resources, and directory listings. What you probably will not find is information on music licensing.

Licensing? This is the term applied to the process of placing music on visual creative projects, such as film soundtracks (film, video, digital), television programs, and advertising campaigns.